Fall is in full swing here at NHS! I think I speak for all of our staff when I say I can’t believe it’s already nearing the
end of October. The first couple of months of the school year have been full of learning and growth for our students, and I have been in awe of how they have grappled with the authentic, real-world problems being presented to them in their courses. From our biology students developing proposals for enhancing the nature trail behind the high school, to our civics students engaging in mock congresses as they prepare for their Civic Action Projects, and our seniors perfecting their writing craft through developing their college essays, students here have been applying their learning in real and meaningful ways throughout the fall. We’ve gotten to see students grow beyond academics as well; our marching band hosted another successful Thunder in the Valley in late September, our artists are working on filling our halls with unique and innovative works, and our athletes across sports have shown incredible grit and determination this season – I won’t jinx any undefeated teams by mentioning them by name. It’s an exciting time to be a student at NHS!
I wanted to make you aware of a few important dates and events that are coming up over the next few weeks:
- Tuesday, October 29: Quarter 1 ends. Grades will be finalized by November 4th. As a reminder, NHS no longer sends paper copies of report cards; grades can be viewed at any time on PowerSchool. If you need assistance logging in, please contact the main office.
- Tuesday, November 5: Election Day; no school for students (professional development for teachers)
- Monday, November 11: Veterans Day; no school for students or staff
- November 18-22: Spirit Week
- Friday, November 22: Homecoming (please note that to buy tickets, students must be free of financial obligations and detention hours)
- November 27-29: Thanksgiving Break
Thank you, as always, for all that you do to support your student’s development into the Vision of the Graduate.